Thursday, October 16, 2008

Staying Healthy While Gestating

I've been doing my best to be a healthy gestator. I would say so far I'm doing good. I have lost about 20 pounds since getting pregnant (I was down a little more but in the last few weeks I've gained a little). I wasn't trying to loose weight but when you change your diet to stave off gestational diabetes that's what happens. Also I've kept active all through my pregnancy. I've done a variety of activities including kickboxing (no contact of course), zumba, water aerobics, walking and working with my trainer Erin.

Out of all of these activities I have to say that the biggest help to keeping me healthy is working with Erin. I know if I don't keep up with my exercises and diet my workout will not be easy at Erin's! Not that Erin will "come down" on me but in order to keep up with what she wants me to do I need to be healthy (or at least well on my way to being healthy). As my pregnancy progresses my workouts with Erin have evolved. I no longer do much on the floor and we are concentrating on balance a lot right now. We have fun talking about being pregnant, babies and future goals. I always look forward to heading over to see her.

Today Erin and I updated my measurements. While it may seem silly to take measurements while pregnant it actually makes sense. After all when you gain weight while pregnant you should gain a little fat and all the other weight should be due to the baby. This means your arms and legs should still be fit even though your abs give away. I am happy to report that since I've been working with Erin I have lost a total of 12 inches (6.5 of those in the last 10 weeks)! Yes people that's right. I've lost 12 inches while pregnant (we got our positive test back shortly after I started working with Erin).

The most amazing measurement to me was my hips. My last set of measurements I definitely didn't have a baby belly. I'm starting to get one now. That posed a challenge for measuring my hips this time around. There really is no way to measure my hips right now without the baby getting in the way. I was completely ready for that measurement to go up. Well my hip measurement did not go up. It actually went down 2 inches!! That's with the baby in the way! WOW!

Needless to say I'm very excited! I'm a busy girl on the health front. I'm growing a little girl for us to love and I'm becoming a healthier person! How awesome is it going to be when I finally have my little girl to hold and I'll be a healthy mom!! It's an exciting time for me and I couldn't be happier!

Ben and I were talking tonight about how we are going to stay healthy to be a good role model for our daughter. I always tell him stories about Erin's son Grady and how he knows that exercise is good for you. Grady has great role models in his parents. I want us to be great role models for our daughter. So Ben and I are making plans to start running together when I can run. Admittedly I hate running. I don't think many people really like running when they start. It's something that grows on them. We're talking of adding a running stroller to our registry. The best way to show our daughter how to be healthy is to have her involved from the get go.

So thank you Erin, Geoff and Grady! Ben and I hope to one day have the healthy family that you have. Who knows maybe in a couple years we'll run one of those marathons with you!

6 comments:

DeliaKnits said...

I just wanted to tell you that you are an ispiration to me! I know I don't lead a healthy lifestyle and we're trying to get pregnant. I look around at my family and we are all under exersised and I know that is not how I want to raise my kids, but it has to start with me, right? I am going to make some steps to change. Keep up the good work!

Christina said...

shana!! Go girl! I am so impressed!!!

Janna said...

Hey Shana! :)

My sister recommended a few items for you guys to register for, if you haven't already. I looked your registry over and I didn't see these items so I thought I'd just tell you if you're interested. :)

Since your baby will be born in February, you can either register for the "winter" or "spring" version of this... but there are these carseat accessories called "Bundle Me's" that are really handy! I bought one for Elle last year (the winter one) and they used it all winter! Basically, it's like a little pouch that your baby is strapped into to keep them warm. There's a "regular" one (that is warmer) and a "lite" one for spring or fall temperatures. Click here for the link to the "lite" version. They come in different colors.

Also, my sister bought a really cool portable chair that you can attach to tables at restaurants. (Obviously, this is for when your little girl is old enough to sit up on her own... but it's really handy!) My sister puts Elle in it at restaurants, along with the "Tiny Diner" placemat (like the one you already registered for) and it works really well!

Here are three different ones I found on Babies'R'Us:

#1
#2
#3

Sara and Randy said...

Hey! I hope you don't mind if I follow along with your blog- I love baby blogs.
Glad to hear you're doing well!

-kittiboo

Shana said...

Sara!! I don't mind at all! The more the merrier! :o)

Erin said...

Shana I am so proud of you and i know that you and Ben will be amazing role models for your little girl. I so enjoy our time together too and I know that one day Geoff and I will see you at the finish line. You are such an ispiration to so many!!