Monday, September 15, 2008

Buying stuff for Baby Girl!

I'm still unemployed but that won't stop me from preparing for my little girl to get here! This weekend we headed out to do some baby shopping.

First it was off to pick out a light fixture for her room. A local lighting store was having a beat the clock sale. If we bought what we wanted before noon we got 40% off the price. As we strolled around the packed store I tried to convince Ben that our girl needed a chandelier. He wasn't believing me. So I took a different approach and suggested the modern light fixture that was full of crystals.....yeah he wasn't having that either. I can't say I blame him. Once I looked at the price I wasn't having it either (over $1100). We finally decided how on two fixtures that we liked. One we really liked, the other was the "back up". After waiting in line to even talk to a sales person we were able to ask a few questions. We ended up buying our first choice. It's modern and chic and I love it!

After the lighting store we headed off to the baby furniture store. They were having a one day sale. We walked around and contemplated a few cribs that we liked. We also took time to sit in the big comfy chairs they have. After some discussion and debate we picked out a crib. Since we don't have a room to put it in we decided that layaway was the best way to go at this time.

After picking out our crib we headed over the the stroller and car seat area. We played with a few car seats and looked at a few strollers. Then it happened. One complete system caught my eye. I headed over to it and started playing around. The sales girl took plenty of time to tell us about the system. Once I took a look at the name she really didn't have to say much more. I've done enough research to know it is a top of the line system. Ben on the other hand asked plenty of questions. I finally got up the nerve to check out the price. Yep....it was expensive and it was marked down significantly. I knew in that there was no way I would ever be able to have this wonderful chic yet incredibly safe system. Ben freaked out about the mid-priced systems so there was no way he would go for this one.

The sales girl left us to play around with the system. It was at that point that I just about fainted. Not from being sick or pregnant or anything like that. No, I almost fainted because my husband turned to me and said "I want it"! HOLY CRAP! I was shocked beyond belief. Ben's reasoning for wanting the system are very well thought out. Not only do I love it (which I do) but it's super safe, it's light, it's easy to use and it's safe. Yes, I know I said safe twice but that's the biggest selling point to us. The issue is we don't have the money for this system. The discounted price is only good for the floor model. They're coming out with new fabric designs so they're getting rid of floor model. So we left there dreaming. We're hoping it will still be there when we get extra money.

So that was most of our Saturday. We had a good time and started talking about creating a registry soon. It's hard to believe that we're almost to the halfway point. before you know it, I'll be sharing baby pictures!

7 comments:

Janna said...

What was the brand name for the stroller/car seat system? :) I'm just curious.

My sister has a Graco Travel System for Elle. I tried looking for the exact same one online but I think they've discontinued the color (but not the travel systems). Hers is dark grey and has celery green trim... because she didn't know if she was having a girl or a boy... but it works for both. :) It's awesome! It was rated #1 on Consumer Reports and it seems to be more affordable than the really expensive one you told me about. But you can do whatever you want, of course. I hope you find one that you really love! :)

Click here to see the Graco kind that my sister has. (It's not the same color but you get the idea.) :)

Shana said...

It's a Peg Perego System

Kristen said...

sounds like you had a fun day shopping for baby girl!

I hope you can get the system!! Especially if it was such a great deal - can you ask them to hold it for you or if you can make payments? Just think of all the use you would get out of it... it might be worth saving up for ;)

Kerri said...

What light fixture? Photos, links??? :) Sounds like a fun day.

Shana said...

Here is a link for the light fixture. It looks more black then bronze. http://www.artcraftlighting.com/prod.php?id=573

Janna said...

Oops! Actually, my sister corrected me and said she has a Chicco Travel System... not Graco. That's why I couldn't find the same color scheme online for Graco because it's not the same one! Oops! :)

Here's the correct link. But the Peg Perego ones look awesome too! :)

Maribeth said...

Brian was stressign a bit about the cost of a Peg Perego. I took him to Babies R Us and first look at the Perego and then pulled out a really cheap system and pretended to look at it and test it. He tested it out for like 5 seconds and said this is crap, lets go for the Perego.