Wednesday, August 13, 2008

A girl with a curl

No. We don't know what the sex of the baby is yet. I'm referring to myself.

You see I grew up with ridiculously straight hair. I HATED it! Back "in the day" I would perm it. WOO boy! Those were a bad ideas. Perms weren't so nice back then. I ended up always looking like Sideshow Bob (as my lovely brothers would call me). Then I embraced my straight hair and just let it hang. That was fine and dandy for my alternative/rocker stage. As I got older I didn't necessarily want curls but just a little body to my hair wouldn't look so flat.

A little over 2 years ago I gave in and had another perm (my first in many, many years). Thank goodness perms are so much more forgiving now then they were back in the 90's. I loved my curly hair. It was almost too much curl. It was fun while it last......over a year!

I decided to let my hair grow out and see how it went. Eventually my hair grew out enough that all of the perm was cut out of my hair. So why then did I still have the smallest bit of body? Hmmm. It wasn't enough body to make a big difference but I can tell you it wasn't exactly straight either.

This year I noticed it had been getting harder and harder to keep my hair straight. By the middle of the day I would end up with random ringlets in my hair of very wispy ends. I was starting to get frustrated with it all. I couldn't seem to control my hair anymore.

Well now that I'm pregnant the curl has become much more pronounced. If I tried to wear it straight my hair looks as if it was fuzzy and fried! Last week I found some curl creme I had left from my perm. I put a little in and OMG! The waves I have! I was in shock! I was thinking it was a fluke and maybe the humidity was a little higher that day. So I tried it again. Same curls and lots of them!!

So I called Tracy (she's my awesome friend that does my hair) and had her pick me up something to boost my curls. I'm loving my curls while I have them! I'm not sure if they'll stay but they just might. After all my mom has naturally curly hair. Maybe my curls were just very, very delayed. Thirty years for curls is better then no curls....right? LOL!

So don't be shocked when you see me. I didn't go out and put a bunch of chemicals on my head while pregnant. Those curls have been making their way to my head for about a year or so now. I'm just thinking the baby helped them pop out! Hmmmm.......maybe we are having a girl. After all a boy wouldn't care about his mom's hair. LOL!

4 comments:

apt said...

I think once baby comes, big cut (and donated) and then small perm.
We'll need a photo of the curl for documentation ;).
And maybe you'll have a boy with deliciously curly hair.

apt said...

What? I don't make sense sometimes. That first statement was the big strategic plan for my own hair.

Christina said...

Picture???

Kristen said...

That's awesome! I have straight hair, and let me say... I'm totally jealous!