Monday, June 23, 2008

Possible cause of itching

The itching was so bad last night that I hardly slept. Even when I did sleep I was scratching in my sleep. So This morning I called my doctor's office to see if there was anything I could do. They told me that I needed to go in and see one of the doctors. Since I already had a dentist appointment I ended up taking a half day off of work to go and get checked out.



The nurse took me back and checked my height, weight and blood pressure. She brought me to a room and asked a few questions. Since I hadn't been given an due date she figured it out on the wheel. I'm due February 13, 2009. Looks like I know what I'm getting for Valentine's Day! LOL! Since I know I ovulated a little earlier then day 14 I'm guessing my due date will be more around the 10th. I wouldn't doubt if neither one of those days is right since this is my first and first babies tend to be late.



Anyway back to my appointment (I actually had a huge post from this point on but stupid blogger ate it! So now you get a shorter version).

The doctor thinks that I have a liver problem. Apparently this is common later in pregnancy and I'm the first person he's seen having this issue so early. From the sounds of it there is too much bile in my blood. I was told that it can cause complications but in all the years he's been in practice he's never had anyone have complications from it. Of course he's never had anyone have it this early either.

So the course of action we're taking is antihistamines. I also went and had some blood taken to confirm that it is a liver problem. If it isn't I'll need to have more tests done to figure out what is going on. Since I didn't see the doctor who I'm working with I'll follow up with her later on. If it is a liver problem and the antihistamine doesn't work there is another medication I can take that will absorb the bile so my body doesn't.

It's not the best news to receive this early. It's also worrisome to me since this is a crucial time during the pregnancy. But since the doctor didn't seem overly concerned I'll try my best not to worry about it. That will be much easier to do if the antihistamine works!

I'm off to pout about my post that was a million times better then this one being eaten alive! It's time to take some meds too!

Edit to add: I just did some searching online about this. Apparently this condition happens earlier in pregnancies that are MULTIPLES!! I'm so kicking DTB's ass if that's the case! He keeps saying we're having twins. He keeps trying to assure me this is a good thing since I'll only have to be pregnant once. I really need to stop looking stuff up online.

1 comment:

Christina said...

OMG - multiples?? Crazy!

Keep us posted!! I'm hoping you continue the trend of not seeing any complications..